(correct answers are at the bottom of the page)
1. Which hot spring resort once contained a bomb shelter for the President and Congress in the event of nuclear war?
a. The Greenbrier b. The Homestead c. French Lick d. Warm Springs
2. In what country are the spa
towns of Carlsbad and Marienbad located?
a. Germany b. Austria c. Czech Republic d. Switzerland
3. Into which spring did Napolean
ride his favorite horse?
a. Vittel b. Vichy c. Piestany d. Salsomaggiore
4. Which American President was
a devoted hot springs visitor?
a. Washington b. Jefferson c. F.D. Roosevelt d. Lincoln
5. Which Mexican spa was popular
with Montezuma and other Aztec royalty?
a. Ixtapan b. Penafiel c. Agua Hedionda d. Rio Caliente
6. In which country is hot springs
therapy (balneology) not a medical specialty?
a. France b. Germany c. Japan d. United States
7. Which country claims to have
the largest number of hot springs in the world?
a. Japan b. United States c. Russia d. Germany
8. Which California spa has hosted
Mark Twain, Patch Adams and Wavy Gravy?
a. Beverly Hot Springs b. Vichy Springs c. Sierra Hot Springs d. Miracle Hot Springs
9. Which spa is located above
a 3 million year old saline sea?
a. Saratoga Springs, NY b. Hot Springs, AR c. Bath, England d. Baden-Baden, Germany
10. What is the most populous
spa town in the world?
a. Beppu, Japan b. Sofia, Bulgaria c. Salsomaggiore, Italy d. Budapest, Hungary
11. Which disease is generally
treated by hot springs therapy?
a. cancer b. arthritis c. heart disease 4. kidney disease
12. Which California hot spring
resorts are "clothing optional"?
a. Calistoga and Vichy b. Glen Ivy and Sycamore c. Orr and Harbin d. El Paraiso and Gilroy
13. In which country did the
word "spa" originate?
a. France b. England c. Italy d. Belgium
14. What is the scientific term
for a therapeutic mud treatment?
a. climatotherapy b. aromatherapy c. fangotherapy d. crenotherapy
15. If you were given a
Sitz bath, which part of your body would be bathed?
a. the legs b. the head c. the shoulders d. the intestines
answers: 1-a, 2-c, 3-c, 4-d,
5-c, 6-d, 7-a, 8-b, 9-a, 10-d, 11-a, 12-c, 13-d, 14-c, 15-a.
Healing springs links
Healing Springs (book)